Sunday, May 3, 2015

Why We Have This Blog

I intentionally said something harsh to the Fredericksburg Writers Conference group recently, "If you aren't in a writing critique group, you probably aren't a very good writer."  There has been lots of feedback.  My intent was to stimulate conversation, and we had it.  My preferred way for feedback is via a comment on this blog, but that didn't work for everyone, or maybe I don't have it set up correctly.  I learned that there are several ways to get critique of your writing, and it isn't always in a face to face meeting.  I learned that some writers (even some very good ones) have a very thin skin. 

I am open to other topics - what opinion or question would you like to put out to our group?  Something controversial may get more response.

Short Story Contest - deadline is our next meeting, June 25th.  Maximum 1200 words, some connection to the Texas Hill Country (however tenuous), mail 3 copies with your name and contact info on a cover sheet to PO Box 2024, Fredericksburg, TX 78624,along with a $20 bill.  The top three will be published in the Fredericksburg Standard Radio Post.  The money will go into the envelope towards our 2016 Editor Conference.

Our next meeting will present Christine Granados with "My Story" and "Avenues for Publishing Here".  We may also have a panel discussion with some screenwriters.  I have some leads on other programs from the membership, please keep sending them. 

Mara and I have recruited several of our regular members to form a board of directors, and soon we will have a  meeting and put some organizational in this organization.  So far, we've been winging it. 

Will someone please post a comment on this so I can see if that function is functional?

Robert Deming
Mara Fox Moretti

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Robert. Comments functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope others will see how this works. I am thinking of another offensive comment to get more participation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will make what I hope is a non-offensive comment: I am looking forward to Christine Granados' presentation. She is an accomplished and interesting person. Thanks for putting together another good program for us. And one reason why more people may not comment is that this application makes it darn hard...not enough choices. I found one for me that worked, but if it were easier to comment, perhaps more people would do so.

    ReplyDelete