Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Kent's take on writing critique groups

I hope I didn’t sound smug when I said that I write for a readership of one (me!). What I meant was that since tastes in style and content differ so much, I thought I’d write what I’d like to read and hope I had kindred spirits out there somewhere.

That doesn’t mean I don’t trust others’ judgment regarding the quality of my writing. Quality transcends personal style, and that’s where I very much value the opinions in the writers group. When, as is often the case, someone suggests an alternate way of saying something and I think, "Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?" then those moments alone make our meetings worthwhile, apart from the sheer enjoyment of meeting together and sharing our work and our ideas.

Writing groups may not work for everyone, but they certainly do for me.
 
Kent Rylander

No comments:

Post a Comment