Sunday, May 3, 2015

Melinda's take on Critique Groups

Re: Discussion on Critique Groups, Melinda Holley's view:

The broad range of opinions posted on this topic demonstrates that there's no right or wrong way to be an author. Two published authors have posted opposing views on what works for them and there's plenty of room in the middle as well. I don't think an apology is in order but perhaps the view that critique groups are a necessity should have been expressed as an opinion rather then a statement of fact. Robert spends a lot of time and effort helping to further the goals of the Conference and I think his intentions were good when he made the observation about critique groups.

I have a critique group, but input is done via technology and the occasional phone call since my "group" is spread out all over the US. Having a full time job and full time life, I prefer to use my limited "free" time (as if there really is such a thing!) to either write or conduct the business of living, including time recharging my batteries. Some of the conference members have graciously allowed me to participate in their group in the past and it was helpful, but I simply can't spare the time to do it on a regular basis.

 Does that mean I'm not a good writer? Time will tell but it's the only way I can keep balance in my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment