Friday, April 10, 2015

Writing Critique Groups? Who says you need one?

In my recent email to the members of the Fredericksburg Writers Conference, I said, "If you aren't in a writing critique group, you probably aren't a very good writer."

Member Jack Swanzy objected, quoting an article in the New York Times (I think this is it, but I'm not sure, let me know if not).  Jack said (reprinted with his permission):

I am intrigued by your insistence on participation in a writing critique group. Especially the notion that “if you aren’t in a … group, you’re probably not a very good writer.” There are too many examples of great writers who weren’t. And too many examples of people in groups whose writing falls very far short.
The following is from an essay in the NY Times today. Writing critique group? How passé. You really need an MFA. 
“That’s not necessarily a negative notion (we are all MFA’s), according to Dr. McGurl and Mr. Harbach (who received a $650,000 advance for his first novel, “The Art of Fielding”). But it seems to trouble many others, especially aspiring novelists and poets. With so many highly tutored creative writers already out there, is success possible without the instruction and literary connections that are cultivated in M.F.A. programs and that a volatile publishing industry — now evolved around program graduates and sensibilities — has come to look for and expect?"

In defense I consider my own participation for more than ten years in a critique group; I have done a good deal of writing which I thought was brilliant, but when read in front of the group appeared less so.  The simple process of reading your work in front of other writers is all by itself instructive, and the heart-felt, sometimes harsh, always thoughtful critiques more so.  Our Conference speaker from a couple of years ago, the delightful local author Anointette Van Heugten, detailed her long journey to becoming a best selling writer, and she didn't mention being in a writing critique group.  However - she did explain a close relationship with her New York agent, who critiqued her story every step of the way, and I would say that is a critique group.  

What is your experience?  Lets hear about it.

3 comments:

  1. Does it matter how we get or give feedback, as long as it comes from a place of trust and respect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Robert so kindly referenced me in his post, I would like to comment on my experience with writing groups. When I first started out, I joined a number of writing groups, but they simply did not work for me. I found that, particularly with early drafts, receiving too many different opinions conflicted with my creative process. For me, writing is a solitary, wondrous pursuit. Although I consider myself quite social, I love nothing more than to lock myself in my studio and write for six hours - no cellphone, email, just me and the blank page.
    I must admit to a character flaw as well. I simply do not take criticism well and am quite fragile during the initial drafts of writing a novel. The fewer people I have commenting on the soup, the better I like it!
    That said, I believe that every writer should do whatever is most constructive to his or her own writing process. I know many authors who would not write a word without their group. They do it not only to receive help on their own writing, but to support other writers and escape the isolation of the writing room that I so enjoy.
    I firmly believe that the Fredericksburg Writers Conference is invaluable to our small town and loved speaking to its members, both individually and as a group, as I did a few years ago.
    Regarding the value of an MFA, I would just like to add that I never had any formal training in creative writing (being a lawyer definitely does not count) and that my first novel, SAVING MAX, has now sold over 400.000 copies worldwide. A lot of that was luck, as it always is in this crazy industry, but I believe it had more to do with having a strong writing voice and perseverance. Okay, so a little talent thrown in, but mostly just believing in what I was writing and not stopping until I held the finished book in my hands. I once asked my agent if I should get an MFA and he said, "Don't you dare! It would ruin your writing!"
    So, my two cents for what it is worth. Thank you, Robert, for the thoughtful post. Happy writing, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from another Conference member --- "Re: Fbg Writing Conference - Am I a Lousy Writer if I'm not in a Critique Group? With all due respect, Robert, you are taking advantage of your position as a self-appointed “leader” when you send a generalized communication to all writers who have trusted you with their contact information that blasts them with your own personal opinion about whether writing is “good” or “bad” or “in-between.” In fact, I would go so far as to ask you, ‘Who appointed you god of writers?’
    Many great writers (poets are the ones with whom I’m familiar) have never been in a “critique” group: Emily Dickinson, Robert Lowell, Louise Gluck, Carolyn Kizer . . . and the list goes on. I personally believe you owe us an apology for being so overbearing.


    ReplyDelete